JoSuA: Frequently Asked Questions
The following FAQ contains a list of known user problems with JoSuA. The list is updated on a regular basis. Please check if your question is included.
The FAQ are of supplementary use only. Further, we’d like to ask you to consult our guidelines as to the use of remote data access and on-site use with JoSuA. These guidelines contain important information on the process of remote data access and on-site use as well as on data privacy provisions.
After uploading a job the following message appears "Your daily job quota has (already) been exceeded"
In JoSuA it is only possible to upload one job per day and project. The message appears at the first upload of the do-files. But this job is sent successfully.
The message "Job successfully submitted" appears after uploading a job, yet the Job is not included in “My Jobs”
The web server seems to have refused the request. This appears when uploading too many files. Please upload only 20 do-files per job.
On Job Submission it is not possible to upload anything. Sent jobs do not appear in MyJobs.
In the list of "MyJobs" every job has to appear immediately after being uploaded, otherwise it was not uploaded correctly. The issue with jobs that cannot be uploaded is connected to the browser in most instances. As far as possible test another browser and deactivate add-ons like adblockplus for the portal josua.iab.de.
Why does my job exit with status failed even though the program ran all the way through?
The message “failed” sometimes appears even though the program exited successfully. Tests have shown that closing the do-file with the “exit” command provokes that message without affecting the program run.
Is it possible to run several jobs in JoSuA at the same time?
- Please send in a new job in „internal use“ or „publication/presentation“ mode only once the previous job has run and its results have been released.
- Also, please do not send in a job in „internal use“ mode while a job in „presentation/publication“ mode is still running, or vice versa.
- Running several jobs at the same time is prone to errors and usually does not make much sense. Jobs access the same data sets in the data folder and might thus overwrite each other’s data.
- FDZ deletes jobs that are uploaded in “presentation/publication” mode prior to the release of the previous job.
Can data sets be stored and accessed by subsequent JoSuA jobs?
In JoSuA you can access all data sets stored in your orig or data folders. You can therefore access data sets that you created in earlier Stata runs or during on-site use and that were saved in the data folder of your project share.
Back to top
Upload of Ado-Files
Ado-files cannot be uploaded
Problems while uploading ado files relate to the browser used and its addons. A common problem is that files cannot be selected in the browse menu. Please test another browser or deactivate addons like adblockplus for the portal josua.iab.de.
The program exits when calling ado-files that I already used during on-site use
You have to upload all ado-files to JoSuA, only then you can use the commands for remote data processing. Note: In preparation of your on-site use please send all ado-files not previously used during on-site use to the FDZ (even if you uploaded them to JoSuA). Only then you’ll have access to the files during on-site use.
Stata exits with an error
Error indication in the log-file "File not found"
This error indication occurs when the data path is not specified with the intended globals $prog, $data, $orig oder $log. Please use the above-mentioned globals at every path specification because otherwise JoSuA cannot find the data files.
Please be adviced not to use umlauts or special characters in file names.
Log-file master.log / Error message „log-file already open“
JoSuA automatically creates a log file called master.log. Please don’t create another master.log in your program. Use the command „cap log close“ to close the present log file and subsequently open a new log file with a different name. For naming conventions please see the guidelines for remote data access.
Error message “File not ok (suspicious mismatch between file suffix and actual file type)”
This error message appears when opening a log-file in Stata’s smcl format. Please create text-only log files. Use the commands “log using $log\logfile.log, replace” or “log using $log\logfile, text replace”.
Job keeps on restarting
This error appears when a log-file is more than 2 MB of size. Please have the FDZ staff stop your current job and please reduce the amount of output created in future job submissions.
Error message „Error!“
The error appears when the combined size of generated output files exceeds 8 MB. Please modify your programs and make sure that less output is generated.
Back to top
Using JoSuA during on-site use
Do-files are not available at the start of on-site use
- Please keep in mind that you have to upload do-files in the mode presentation/publication at least three business days prior to the first day of on-site use so that downloading from JoSuA during on-site use is generally possible (in “Internal Use"-mode this function is deactivated)
- You have to download the do-files during on-site use from JoSuA on your own. An automatic allocation of the do-files does not take place. You can find a link to JoSuA on your desktop.
- If the job is listed as on "Hold" it is not yet approved and the do-files cannot be downloaded yet. Please send your do-files at least three working days before the beginning of your on-site use so that the files are available on time.
ado files uploaded in JoSuA are not available during on-site use
Due the fact that there is no download function available for ado-files, you have to send them in via mail to use them for your on-site use. This is not ideal since you have to provide your ado files twice and we’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Provision of aggregated data files
Is it possible to upload aggregated data files in JoSuA?
No, an upload of aggregated data with JoSuA is not intended. Please upload only do- or ado-files in JoSuA. Please send your aggregated data files via mail to the fdz mail address. You have to provide a description of the variables and data sources as described in the FDZ guidelines of remote data processing.
Back to top